Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Listen to These Covers: Friendly Fires + Washed Out + Ryan Adams + Robyn

My favourite British trio, Friendly Fires, recorded a cover of Lady Gaga's summer anthem “Edge of Glory” for BBC Radio 1. They don't necessarily fill out the track like Gaga does, but they do a great job in making it sound more like a Friendly Fires song. Watch them perform it below.



Chillwave top dog, Washed Out, recently recorded a cover of Chris Issak's sexy slow jam, “Wicked Game.” He updated it with a slight synthy twist and some female backup vocals. I find it almost as addictive as the original.


Washed Out: "Wicked Game" (Chris Isaak Original)


Next up: Ryan Adams' cover of Vampire Weekend's “A-Punk.” This one I found particularly interesting, not only because the original is one of my favourite songs (also my ringtone, so I hear it numerous times a day), but mostly because I never thought I would come across a cover of it by alternative crooner Ryan Adams. It's sweet and he completely makes it his own. He also covered “Mansard Roof” and “Oxford Comma.”



Robyn, everyone's beloved Swedish electropop sensation, stopped by the Radio 1 Live Lounge to perform her latest single “Call Your Girlfriend,” as well as a cover of Coldplay's most recent radioplay, “Every Tear Drop Is A Waterfall.” It's a downtempo good time that sounds like a Robyn song, listen below!



Robyn: "Every Tear Drop Is A Waterfall" (Coldplay Original)

No comments:

Post a Comment