Monday, January 31, 2011

Album Review: White Lies - Ritual

White Lies: Ritual
7.5/10

I always get incredibly nervous listening to the new album of a band I love. It was no different while hearing the sophomore record of the alternative, London-based White Lies. Having only listened to one track before purchasing the album, I didn't really know what to expect. Which is why I nearly panicked when I heard a different-sounding White Lies ring through my speakers, more uptempo and less dreary; a definite change from their dark and gloomy debut, To Lose My Life. However, after accepting this adjustment and deciding to give it a chance, I soon discovered what Ritual had to offer. It's power-driven and more upbeat, complete with sing-along-choruses, dominant guitar riffs, resounding electronic echoes and hints of industrial clattering. It truly gets more and more addictive with each listen.



The album plays on common themes of love, death and figuring out life, incorporating some religious references and some 80's style electro-pop. “Streetlights,” a catchy synth-pop track gives off a Paul Newman vibe, while “Turn The Bells” seems to be inspired by early Depeche Mode. The only drawback of the album is that some of the lyrics seem a tad dull and meaningless. Take some verses from “Streetlights” for example: “I'm falling like rain for you. So tired and picking skin. Just 'cause it's something to do.” The band will certainly need to work on lyrics in the future. Otherwise, the album is fantastic. Standout tracks include: “Is Love,” “Holy Ghost,” “Strangers” and “Peace & Quiet.” If you loved To Lose My Life, then you will inevitably fall for Ritual. It may take a little time, but it is worth it. You will eventually have it in your head, with its synth-filled hooks following you everywhere you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment