Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Album Review: Metronomy - The English Riviera

Metronomy – The English Riviera
8.5/10

If you are a frequent reader of my blog, it's no surprise to you that I absolutely love Metronomy. I personally feel like they can do no wrong, which is why I'm warning you, while all reviews are biased opinion pieces, expect more of the same. Metronomy is known for their quirky, electronic sound. It's one of the reasons I fell head over heels when I discovered Nights Out and listened to their remixes. Simply put, they are fantastic and addictive. And their third effort, The English Riviera is no different.

The album takes us straight to the English Riviera; seagulls wailing, the sound of the water, all while violins gently play in the background. This introduction merges into “We Broke Free” which acquaints us with the band's new sound; a groovier, sexier Metronomy then we have come to know. The funky synth and bassline show us how much the group has matured, incorporating less of a frantic tinge to their music. It may have something to do with the departure of bassist Gabriel Stebbing and the addition of Anna Prior and Gbenga Adelekan. Is Metronomy finally complete? Have they found their sound?


Metronomy - "The Bay"

Most songs on the record are set to a slower pace then their sophomore release Nights Out. Yet, a majority of the tracks still make you want to dance. “The Bay,” which is the most reminiscent of their older work, has me dancing in my seat every time I hear it. Other highlights include singles “The Look” and “She Wants” as well as “Corinne” and the cute and bubbly “Everything Goes My Way.” I've also found myself singing “Trouble” in my head on a regular basis. This album has such a beautiful, continuous flow throughout, it's best heard in a complete serving. If you haven't, you owe it to yourself to do so.

While I might have been expecting something a little quicker, something a little more electronic, I am not about to complain. This is definitely one of my favourite albums that have been released thus far this year. If someone could please throw the anchor into the water and park boat Metronomy right where it sits, that would be great. I could use some more of this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment