Sunday, June 12, 2011

Album Review: Diamond Rings - Special Affections

Diamond Rings – Special Affections
6.5/10

I get overly excited when I hear of new and interesting acts from my hometown of Toronto. One day while scouring about online, I discovered Diamond Rings; an indie dance-pop solo act by John O'Regan, former frontman of The D'Urbervilles. I've had the album for about two months now. It's taken me nearly as long to get through the record in one straight sitting. I really liked “It's Not My Party” and thought I'd pick up Special Affections while at a local record shop. What I eventually came to realize is that the album is very simple, bland and repetitive; many tracks lacking hooks that force my attention elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, it is not horrible by any means. It's dark synth beats and deep Ian Curtis-like vocals are quite mysterious and intriguing. The problem with this album is that most songs start with such great potential, then sit at the same level and fail to form any excitement. It takes some time before it begins growing on you, but with patience, it will. Highlights include “On Our Own,” “It's Not My Party” and “You & Me.” 


Diamond Rings - "You & Me"


2 comments:

  1. Very well informative post being updated. Truly enjoyed to go through it and thanks for sharing.

    http://www.ajaffe.com

    ReplyDelete