Sunday, March 13, 2011

Album Review: Lykke Li – Wounded Rhymes

Lykke Li – Wounded Rhymes
9/10


Let me start off by saying that I seriously cannot get enough of this record. I would only award an album 9 out of 10 if I truly felt that it deserved it; and it does. Lykke Li's sophomore LP was released on March 1st and since purchasing it a day later, I have had it playing on an endless loop. I knew to expect a darker, provocative and more mature sound, but I didn't think it was going to be as addicting. Wounded Rhymes plays on contrasts; love and heartache, being powerful and defenseless, bold and meek. Weaving through fearless chants and heart-wrenching ballads, the record ignites with life, leaving out any dull, unsatisfactory moments. Li's distinctive voice isn't nearly as fragile sounding as it was on 2008's Youth Novels, but still remains to hold on to it's natural character. A little rough around the edges you might say on tracks “Unrequited Love” and the stripped down “I Know Places”? Well that's one of the reasons it's so great; no digital alterations involved, just raw talent and emotion.



Peter, Bjorn and John's Bjorn Yttling produced the album, leaving some strong impressions. His influence is notable in songs such as the thunderous opener “Youth Knows No Pain” and the dramatic closer “Silent My Song.” It's difficult to choose the album's standout tracks considering that I feel there is not one bad song we could even deem as “filler.” In such a case I'd have to list some of my favourites, which include “I Follow Rivers,” “Rich Kids Blues,” “Jerome” and “Silent My Song.” While she may not be the same cute and bubbly Lykke Li that popped onto the scene a few years ago, she is still just as relevant. A little more grownup, fiery and experienced, Li delivers an incredible record that is very much worth the listen.

Jerome by LykkeLi

No comments:

Post a Comment