Saturday, February 26, 2011

Album Review: Radiohead - The King of Limbs

Radiohead: The King of Limbs
8/10

Just a week ago, Radiohead unleashed their eighth album, The King of Limbs, out into the world a day ahead of schedule. A huge surprise for fans who had learned about the new release only four days prior. Excited, like many others, I was quick to download the record. I wasn't sure what to expect, only having heard “Lotus Flower” while watching the quirky video of a spastic dancing Thom Yorke. I sat quietly in my room, just listening, as the experimental album opener “Bloom” echoed around me. I soon learned that this record had taken a more electronic, yet less emotional route then its predecessor, In Rainbows. It's groovy electronic vibe tightly binds the album together, moving from one solid dubstep track to another. With more of an emphasis on percussion and less on glitchy guitars, it's the shortest Radiohead LP to date, but don't let that fool you into thinking they didn't perfectly craft it. It's impeccable layers show you that there was much effort made in creating it. Tracks “Little By Little,” “Lotus Flower,” “Codex,” “Giving Up the Ghost” and “Separator” are clear standouts. That's basically the whole album....

If you're hoping to hear the Radiohead from days of old, then you are not going to find it on The King of Limbs. However, that is no reason not to give it a chance. Many are quick to dismiss it, disliking their diverse change in musical style. Yet, how incredibly boring would it be to hear the same thing after 17 years? That is why Radiohead are so artistically interesting; they continue to evolve, incorporating different sounds, styles, political statements and what have you on each of their records. After giving the album a few listens, allowing myself to properly digest their latest work of art, I realized how much I loved it. The same way I loved In Rainbows before it and Hail to the Thief before that. I understand that I'm being completely biased because I am a huge fan, but whatever. 

Radiohead: "Separator"


There's also been tons of speculation that The King of Limbs is actually part one of a double album. Having “Separator” as the closing song on the record has lead everyone to believe there will be a second part. And according to DIY Records, the order number for the LP is “TKOL1.” Perhaps that is the reason why their “newspaper release” of the album is only available in May. Also, Thom played a song entitled The Daily Mailon his solo tour last year along with a couple tracks that found themselves on this album. Hmmmm.... I think Radiohead have something up their sleeve. Yet even if they don't, it's not the last we've heard of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment