Sunday, April 3, 2011

Album Review: Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More

Mumford & Sons – Sigh No More
8/10

English four-piece Mumford & Sons released their debut Sigh No More in October of 2009 to much critical acclaim. I was aware of their existence having heard their singles on the radio, but for some odd reason I cannot explain, I never looked into them or picked up their record. I would sing along to “The Cave” and “Little Lion Man” in the car, was completely impressed by their live performance at the Grammys, yet with so much other music to focus on, I ashamedly ignored them. Big mistake. One of my closest friends had recommended I pick up the album and since I strongly trust her judgment, I did as I was told. Thankfully I did, I absolutely love the record.

Their old-timey folk sound is a modern take on the bluegrass tunes of old. Beautiful group harmonies are backed by perfectly crafted acoustic rhythms. The sound of mandolins, violins and banjos, trumpets and trombones intermittently appear throughout the album while the voice of lead singer, Marcus Mumford ties everything together. Almost every track consists of a climactic moment complete with some form of a crescendo; dramatic melodies where silent instruments awake in a rumble. Highlights include “Roll Away Your Stone,” “The Cave,” “Little Lion Man,” and my personal favourite “White Blank Page.” “Awake My Soul” is also a stunning addition.


I speak the truth when I say that the record is consistently good throughout. My only criticism is that all songs share pretty much the exact same structure, making them seem just a tad repetitive and predictable. But don't let that scare you; Sigh No More is certainly a fantastic album and very much deserves to be heard.


The band is planning on getting back into the studio later this year with producer Markus Dravs, who lent his production skills on Sigh No More. I'm assuming we can expect more melodic beauties with a slight touch of the grandiose.


It's never too late to pick up an awesome record. If you, like me, didn't look into Mumford & Sons when they first hit the scene, don't wait any longer. Listen to this record. Unless you're not into folk rock music...in which case, it's up to you.

2 comments: