Monday, April 18, 2011

Record Store Day 2011!

Saturday was Record Store Day and here in the Great White North, well, at least in Toronto, it was raining, windy and miserable. However, you couldn't tell from the inside of some of the cities well known record shops. Excited shoppers bustled around, on the hunt for limited edition vinyls and other gems to add to their collections.

I don't actually own a record player; the few records I own really belong to my mom and they're at my grandparents' house, trapped in a box somewhere in their garage. They own a record player though, so kudos to them! Anyway, I like Record Store Day simply because it embraces the idea of purchasing the music you listen to. Which I did. I snatched up albums from Diamond Rings, Peter Bjorn & John and Albert Hammond Jr. Plus I got a ton of free samplers which have been quite enjoyable so far.


After a full day of searching through record stores, my dear friend Val and I made our final stop at Sonic Boom, the music mega store on Bathurst and Bloor. We caught local indie rock foursome Zeus, who performed a highly energetic set for a large crowd of shoppers and fans. The boys played a slew of new songs, including “Love in a Game” which they mentioned would be released on their sophomore effort, due in October. Not only did they prove they're extremely talented, what with having three different vocalists who rotate instruments, but they also demonstrated that they're also pretty entertaining; Carlin Nicholson jumped on an amp mid-song and placed his head in between floor boards, and later on the boys jokingly sampled a Huey Lewis bit. Their setlist included “The Renegade,” “River By The Garden,” and “Marching Through Your Head” off their excellent debut, Say Us. They closed with the out of control “You Gotta Tell'er” and left everyone wishing there was more. Overall, it was an awesome way to end my Record Store Day 2011 experience.


Zeus - "Kindergarten"


Find anything extra special on Record Store Day? Please share!
& Photos courtesy of myself...

No comments:

Post a Comment